We’ve planted the beans out now, and put the tomatoes in a trough; they all seem to be fine. However, our raspberries have been severely attacked by ants farming aphids under almost all the leaves, and especially around the clusters of fruit. And our developing beetroots are having their leaves shredded by leaf-mining pests.
All posts in Sowing
- Aphids and ants on raspberries
- Planted out tomatoes
- Damaged beetroot leaves
- Celeriac seedlings in peril
- Herbs: bronze fennel, garden mint, peppermint, lemon verbena, French tarragon, oregano, lemon balm
- Kale seedlings and runner beans and French beans
- Tomatoes and courgette outgrowing the greenhouse
- Golden raspberries
We have a few crops that are in the mini-greenhouse ready to go out into the veg plot now. The tomatoes are looking very healthy and are growing at a rapid rate, as is the single yellow courgette plant, which we intend to plant in a bucket of manure and compost. The peas continue their slow development. The kale seedlings don’t seem to be in much of a hurry, but the runner beans and French beans are racing to be planted out. Our second attempt at growing celeriac seems to be heading for disaster again, as the seedlings are steadily going yellow and wilting, despite being brought indoors.
- Beetroot seedlings
- Perished celeriac seedlings
- Rocket and mustard
- Sweetcorn seedlings
- Pea seedlings and netting
Things are coming along fairly slowly in the veg plot. We have a few clumps of beetroot seedlings that are struggling against the hard clay soil and the persistent attacks of slugs. Our pea seedlings are big enough to need the support of some netting. For both these crops, we are sowing successionally, so we have planted another row as the previous row grows. The sweetcorn seedlings seem very strong and confident, but our celeriac seedlings, which were very leggy, have now perished.
- Bean seeds
- Weevil damage to pea seedlings
- Rocket, mustard, celeriac and augergine
- Sweetcorn seedlings
The soil in our vegetable plot is too hard to sow many seeds directly. The continuous wet weather over the winter has compacted the soil into a thick crunchy surface, and the soil is already very clayey anyhow. So we’re almost forced to sow many of our crops in pots to start with, before the challenge of the soil.
- Hop going strong
- Beetroot seedlings
- Leggy celeriac seedlings
We have a few signs of life beginning to show in the vegetable plot now.
- Tidied and repotted herbs, sweet peas and strawberries
- Repotted olive tree, lavender and currant trees
- Spring onion, lettuce, rocket, mustard, celeriac and aubergine seeds
- Chantenay carrot seeds sown in a bucket
- Bee hotel
- Large rhubarb leaves
- Support for golden raspberries
With a spell of dry weather and sunshine, we have been able to get out into the garden to begin tidying up some of the mayhem from the long wet winter months, and sort out the plants that are beginning to grow again.
- Lady Christl potatoes sprouting
- Slow worm in the leeks
- Freshly dug over and planted King Edwards, with remaining leeks and overwintered garlic
We have already planted a couple of rows of Lady Christl first early potatoes, which are just beginning to sprout through the soil. We have now dug over and planted King Edward seed potatoes as our maincrop. In between the two, we still have a row of leeks still standing, and the garlic we have overwintered, which has now begun to develop with the spring weather. While we were digging, we found a slow worm in amongst the leeks, which didn’t seem to be all that bothered by our activity.
- From the kitchen window
- Challenger hop in moss packaging
- Hop planted with wire supports on fence
- Thinned strawberries
- Planting garlic
- Newly planted Victoria plum tree
- Propagating celeriac seeds
- Rosemary flowers
It has been our first opportunity to go out into the garden this weekend. We have managed to sow beetroot, Isle of Wight garlic, shallots and peas, as well as a hop and a Victoria plum tree. Since the fence has been repaired, things are beginning to look like they are under control again.
- Dug over plot
- Bucket of compost
Now that we have had a few days of fine weather, and we’ve had the fence replaced, we’re now able to get on with preparing the vegetable plot for some sowing and growing. We’ve dug over the plot, which is badly compacted by constant waterlogging, and dug in some compost from our compost heap and spread over some chicken manure.